Advocate Lotie Brink
Lotie has 25 years of criminal investigation experience, the majority of which was spent within the Organised Crime Environment. Here, he was trained by members of the FBI, in techniques of Questioning and Interrogation. He also completed his Law Degree and was admitted to the High Court of South Africa as an Advocate in 2009.
During 2005, he got involved in the forensic examination of mobile phones and since 2012, whilst heading the Digital Forensic Laboratory of the HAWKS in the Western Cape, received extensive training in the forensic Acquisitioning, Examination and Analysis of digital devices and data. These devices include Mobile Phones, PC’s, Laptops, Flash / Thumb Drives, CCTV Footage, Handheld Skimming Devices, High Tech Skimming Devices and Compromised Point-of-Sale (POS) Devices.
As training has been received from the best-known International and South African Digital Forensic Services in the most recent Digital Forensic Tools like EnCase, Forensic Toolkit (FTK), X-Ways, Internet Evidence Finder (IEF), XRY, UFED Cellebrite, XAMN, Analyst Notebook (ANB) and Intella, we are able to assist clients in all their needs.
Lotie’s areas of expertise include:
- Complainant / Witness / Suspect / Expert interviews and drafting of affidavits, especially relating to complex matters.
- Assisting clients at crime scenes during search and seizure operations.
- Independent consulting during pre-trial consultations.
- Providing assistance during high profile trials such as racketeering, money laundering and / or any organised or commercial crime cases where search warrants, directives or section 252A-operations (“undercover”) are in dispute.
- Assisting in the leading of witness testimony, as well as cross-questioning witnesses.
- Real-Time plotting and tracing of mobile devices and suspects with digital programs.
- Case docket analysis: analysing witness statements, warrants, directives, section 205 / 252A applications etc.
- Link Analysis on acquired detailed billings, bank account printouts, etc.
- Advanced investigations into phishing, hacking and malware attacks.
- Malware investigations on computer and mobile devices.
- Advanced fraud (pyramid-scheme) investigation assistance.
- Reporting on acquisitioning, processing and analysis of evidence.
- Assisting in the application, execution and analysis of subpoenas in terms of section 205 of the Criminal Procedure Act, 51 of 1977, for cellular / bank records from service providers / financial institutions.
- Assisting in the application and execution of search and seizure warrants.
- Assisting in the application and execution of section 252A operations (CPA).
- Anton Pillar applications and executions, relating to search and seizure of digital evidence.
- Investigating complex cases, be it criminal or civil.
- Background / criminal record checks of employees / witnesses.
- Suspect and witness tracing.
- Assisting in obtaining of cell phone / bank records.
- Advanced interview and interrogation techniques.
- Covert surveillance and investigation techniques.
- Private surveillance, including the installation of CCTV / covert cameras.
- Asset tracing and recovery.
- Private security, asset protection and management.
- Criminal and Private Defamation Investigations.
Willem van Romburgh
Willem is a specialist interrogator with more than 26 years of experience as an investigator. In addition, he holds both South African and International Security qualifications and is accredited as a Labour Specialist with the AHI Employers Organisation. His career as an investigator started when he joined the SAPS in 1992. During this time, he won numerous awards as investigator.
After leaving the SAPS in 1999, he became an internal investigator at Old Mutual Head Office for 3 years, before starting Van Romburgh Incorporated with his brothers. He is currently completing his LLB degree through Unisa.
He counts amongst his clients the following leading companies/ institutions:
- Old Mutual
- The City of Cape Town
- Cell C
Karin de Witt
Karin is a qualified Professional Accountant and has been registered with the South African Institute of Professional Accountants (SAIPA) for the past 12 years. Karin completed her B.Compt degree at the University of the Free State in 2000 and completed her SAICA AGA articles in 2004.
Karin worked in the retail and wholesale sector for 10 years. Here she gained experience in financial and operational reporting, financial systems and financial and operational analysis. She was also responsible for compiling, implementing and maintaining the internal controls. Before Karin left the retail sector, she was a reporting analyst responsible for analysing financial and operational information to assist property managers in managing budgets and creating forecasting tools to use for accurate costings of projects.
Karin started her own business in 2017, assisting small / medium business with their accounting and taxation. Using her retail and wholesale experience, she is expanding her business to include services that she is passionate about. These services include business, data and financial analysis to create tools for a business to move forward and to ensure accurate reporting for planning and decision making. Also, the auditing, implementing and maintaining of internal controls and employee efficiencies (“employee shadowing”) to ensure the reliability and integrity of information.
“For any business to make the best decisions at the right time, they need the best employees and systems to deliver accurate and on time information.” – Karin de Witt
Some error has occured.